Background

Well before I was born -- even before my mother came into the picture -- my father saw an article in LIFE magazine that made an impact on him. It was about a photographer who made sure he had a photo taken of him with his daughter, in the same place, every year on her birthday. My father liked this idea so much, he vowed that if/when he had a child, he would take on this tradition. And so we have. This blog explores our history, as I write his memoir and a history of the family farm near Allentown, now in a developer's hands.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

1963: A National Tragedy Birthday

by Corinne H. Smith



1963:  I turned six years old.  President John F. Kennedy was assassinated on this day.  I was in Mrs. Earhart's first grade class at Farmdale Elementary School.  Daddy was 34, and he worked as a research chemist at Armstrong Cork Company in Lancaster, Penna.  Mom was a stay-at-home Mom.  We lived on Hathaway Street in West Hempfield Township.  The #1 song on the radio on my sixth birthday was “Deep Purple” by Nino Tempo & April Stevens.  Mom snapped this photograph.  We may have been on our way to or from church, on the following Sunday.



     The day I turned six was the day our American president was assassinated in Dallas.

     Mom used to tell the story.  She was in the middle of baking my birthday cake when she heard Walter Cronkite’s announcement come over the television in the living room.  (The very same set that Daddy and I always posed in front of, for the birthday photos.)  Mom ran out the back door and down to our neighbors’ house to tell them.  Later she couldn’t remember whether or not she’d even closed the refrigerator door, in her rush.  I assume that she was merely in the process of mixing ingredients, and that the cake had not yet been put in the oven.  Burning the cake or setting the house on fire wasn’t part of her tale.

     Admittedly, I don’t remember that day at all.  I do remember watching the funeral on television:  watching little John John salute his father, watching little Caroline standing by.  I’m only five days older than Caroline, so I often wondered what the situation was like for her. 

     The photographic retrospective book Four Days was released on January 1, 1964.  My Aunt Bert gave me a copy of it a few months later, and we shelved it in the bookcase next to our fireplace.  I don’t think we ever really paged through it.  It was just something that needed to be there.  I used to feel some kind of eerie connection whenever my fingers touched it, mostly when I was searching for one of my nearby story books.  I still have this copy of Four Days; its once white cover, now browned with age.  I guess I could say the same of myself.
 





     My parents weren’t fans of the Kennedys.  Mom was a diehard Republican.  Daddy was a registered Democrat who often sided with the other side.  As two conservatives born and bred in the Lutheran church, they weren’t overly fond of Catholics, either.  Still, they were naturally appalled by the assassination.  If that could happen in America, anything could. 

     Every year after that, amidst remnants of gift wrap and mouthfuls of cake, I was subjected to hearing anniversary accounts: some from the people around me, and many more from TV, radio and newspapers.  Mom would tell the cake and refrigerator story.  It's tough to be merry and celebratory whenever everyone around you is soberly reminiscing about where they were when. It's enough to make a birthday girl feel like an intruder at her own party. And a real heel to even expect a party in the first place.

     As a result of this overload, I usually avoid additional exposure to JFK-related stuff.  I haven’t seen Oliver Stone’s movie.  I didn’t read any JFK books, fiction or nonfiction, until Stephen King’s novel, 11/22/63, came out in 2012.  With that title, how could I resist?  I’m pleased to say that it is a truly fabulous work.  And a long one, too.  I may even need to read it again someday.  (You can find my review of the book here.)  


     On September 11, 2001, I saw the World Trade Center towers fall via television.  In the midst of the shock waves swirling around me, I overheard a co-worker mourn, “How could this happen today?”  It turned out to be her birthday.  That’s when I thought to myself -- yes, perhaps a bit crassly -- Now we are off the hook.  We 11-22ers can pass the responsibility of national tragedy birthday holders onto you, 9-11s.  Time has helped to fade the fabric of past loss.  November 22 may be on its way to becoming a normal day again.



No comments:

Post a Comment