Background

Well before I was born -- even before my mother came into the picture -- my father saw an article in LIFE magazine that made an impact on him. It was about a photographer who made sure he had a photo taken of him with his daughter, in the same place, every year on her birthday. My father liked this idea so much, he vowed that if/when he had a child, he would take on this tradition. And so we have. This blog explores our history, as I write his memoir and a history of the family farm near Allentown, now in a developer's hands.

Monday, August 26, 2013

Blog EXTRA: Perfect Pitch


By Corinne H. Smith

     When I was growing up, our house was always filled with music.  Daddy’s specialties were (and still are) the flute and the piccolo, with the occasional saxophone and rare clarinet thrown into the medley.  He has played with local community bands, big bands, musical pit orchestras, and small combos nearly non-stop since he found his first piccolo under the Christmas tree at the age of nine.  One of his main teachers and influences was Berthold “Bert” Wavrek, a piccolo player with the Allentown Band, and a man who had performed and toured with John Philip Sousa.  Daddy still plays in church every Sunday and has done so since about the mid-1990s.

     Mom sang alto in the church choir and also played the piano.  She had a trick that she unveiled whenever she and my father entertained friends.  She turned the piano bench so that it was perpendicular to the instrument.  Then she lay down on it, with her face nearly underneath the keyboard.  She put her hands on the ivories – upside down, backward, and over her head -- and played a bouncy version of “Somebody Else is Taking my Place.”  I wish we had been able to film her in action.

     I began taking piano lessons when I was in kindergarten.  Mrs. Hiestand in Salunga was my piano teacher.  So it was from her that I first learned scales, key signatures, and how to read music.  Once I hit fourth grade, I took flute and piccolo lessons from my father instead, so that I could be in the band.  I still played the piano afterwards, but just for personal enjoyment.  A lot of this came later than the story I’m about to tell.

Me and Daddy: An early duet, before I even started taking piano lessons
     One day my mother sat at the piano in our dining room, practicing for the voice lessons that she was taking.  She played a note on the piano and then sang “mah-may-mee-mo-moo” on it.  Over and over, on various notes, moving up and down the scale. 

     I couldn’t understand why this exercise was so important.  I was busy in my toy corner at the opposite side of the room, playing with Barbie and Midge and Ken in their dream house.  I was quiet and could certainly hear what my mother was doing.  She ended by focusing on one particular note, singing “mah-may-mee-mo-moo,” again and again and again.

     When Mom finally paused, I said to her, “That’s a whole lot of Gs you’re singing.”  I made it as a casual remark.  I certainly didn’t think anything of it.  I was more focused on rearranging Barbie’s cardboard furniture to accommodate Skipper and Scooter.

     Mom stopped short.  “How did you know I was singing a G?” she asked.

     I shrugged.  “I don’t know.  I can just tell.”

     She didn’t believe me at first.  She began to hit other notes at random, testing me.  I recognized each pitch and told her what each one was.  By this time I had been taking piano lessons for a while.  I knew what the notes sounded like.  I played them whenever I practiced.  I didn’t see what the big deal was.  Couldn’t everybody do this?

     Here began a new parlor game, added to the repertoire of Mom’s party trick with the upside-down piano playing.  Strike a note and ask Corinne which one it is.  To their credit, my parents didn’t do this very often.  The uniqueness didn’t wear too thin.  After all, having perfect pitch isn’t exactly a marketable skill.  It doesn’t make me a flawless musician.  It merely means that I can identify the notes just by hearing them.

     It’s been rare when I’ve admitted having this ability, even to friends.  However, I do remember the issue arising in one session of Mr. Nolt’s seventh-grade music class at Centerville Junior High School.  We must have been studying Mozart, who famously had both perfect pitch and a photographic memory.  Mr. Nolt must have asked if anyone in the class had perfect pitch.  Unbelievably, I felt the need to raise my hand.

     “You have perfect pitch?” he asked.

     “Yes,” I said, nodding.

     “I do, too!” shouted the boy sitting right in front of me, thrusting his arm into the air.  Let’s say that his first name started with S.  S had been in some of my classes at Farmdale Elementary School.  We were not friends; we were more like wary adversaries.  I could not believe that S was claiming to have perfect pitch.  I was sure he didn’t.  Evidently Mr. Nolt doubted it, too.

     “OK.  What’s this note?” he asked.  Without looking, he dropped his hand to the piano keyboard, and his finger landed on the two tones that most people use to start the ditty called “Chopsticks.”

     “That’s not a note!” quipped S.

     “Yes it is,” I said.  “It’s F and G together.”

     The bell rang, and we filed out of the classroom.  As I stepped into the hallway, Mr. Nolt called out, “Don’t touch her, she’s Mozart!”  That was pretty cool of him to say, that day.  It made me feel good.  Naturally, in the end, it didn’t really mean anything.

     We wondered how I’d gotten perfect pitch.  Was it inherited?  Daddy said that he had relative pitch, and that he could get close to identifying tones, especially when hearing flute music.  For decades now, he’s been prodding me, showing me notices advertising the “Genetics of Absolute Pitch Study” at the University of California at San Francisco.  Researchers want to pinpoint the exact gene that is associated with this ability.  They want to collect as many DNA samples as they can so that comparisons can be made.  No thanks.  I refuse to donate mine to the cause.  They’ll have to compile their statistics without me.

     I never read anything about perfect pitch until I picked up the book Musicophilia:  Tales of Music and the Brain, by Oliver Sacks.  It’s a terrific read.  Dr. Sacks devotes a whole chapter to perfect pitch, seemingly because it’s one of several music-related anomalies that he’s dealt with as a neurologist.  Hmm.  Yes, it was an invaluable talent that gave me an advantage in music theory class in high school.  And it sure helps whenever I sit down to figure out how to play popular songs on the piano just by listening to recordings of them.

     I’m still thinking that it may be even more fun to learn how to play a honky-tonk tune upside down and backward, while lying on a piano bench. 

No comments:

Post a Comment